Saturday, March 1, 2008

George Bell and the Queenscliffe Maritime Museum

All my long life I've found that of the two sexes I always got on extremely well with females but it wasn't till about 10 years ago I had my first true male friend...

Living right opposite us about 20 metres away was a charming couple, George & Glenise Bell who actually lived in Geelong using their Ardoch residence as a town house with George working with Coles-Myer. He started early-morning swims with me and in no time at all we became great mates. He had not long before become computer-literate and soon smoothly subtly submitted suggestions I should follow in his footsteps however I gave this idea little consideration and regularly resisted him for about 5 years until I suddenly had 3 grandchildren living overseas - 1 in Paris and 2 in Oslo, and soon realised the rich rewards of keeping in touch with them .


George Bell.

With grandson John`s assistance I bought a computer and soon became a successful student of George as me made regular trips to Ardoch from Geelong after his retirement due to illness. His next abiding ambition was to introduce me to Geelong and the Bellarine Peninsular of which I knew nothing apart from blissful bay trips from Port Melbourne to Queenscliffe and Sorrento by the paddle-steamer Weeroona. George and Glenise were most kind and I recall with relish staying overnight in Geelong and touring the nearby beaches for the first time - Lorne, Torquay, Ocean Grove etc. but I really received a great thrill when he took me to the Queenscliffe Maritime Museum.

My long love of the sea, I think, is strongly in my genes from my fabulous father, a devout sea and ship-lover, and our trips to Port Melbourne to see the big ocean-liners, and the influence on me of growing up seeing a photo of me, a 3 year-old, in a navy uniform & cap, and always proudly wearing a model full length white sailor suit outfit with a front horizontal flap instead of a button-up fly - exactly the same as an adult outfit - my grandmother had brought me back from London.

On our trips down the bay on the Weeroona, as a 10-11 year-old, the captain always called me up to the bridge to handle the steering wheel - imagine what a big deal that was! We had wonderful trips to the Museum...they have for permanent display various artifacts I've donated such as an antique model of Captain Bligh's "Bounty", my paintings of the Black Lighthouse and pilots' cottages at Queenscliffe & the Weeroona & miniature painted sea-chests. Other artifacts, an 1880`s ship in a bottle, a painting of Pt. Lonsdale Lighthouse( whose 120 odd sloping steps I quickly climbed 3 years ago when I was 86) will go to them when I pass on.....

Every morning as I use the computer I'm so grateful for George Bell's patience, persistence and thoughtfulness.....he actually conned me into seeing my first football game for over 70 years, wearing a Tigers beanie he'd bought me!

No comments: