Sunday, February 10, 2008

What I value most in my life today at nearly 89

No. 1 of course - family.... looking forward to new additions... last month I had the great pleasure of hearing of the safe arrival of greatgrandchild No. 10 to Sally & Gabe, Toby Bo Snyder..... I also enjoy the fervent facial expressions of the grandparents (for the first time) Vonne & Peter.


Harry with his 10th great grandchild, Toby Bo Snyder

I'll love hearing about Toby's growing-up antics, timidly taking his first steps, then the first day at kinder etc., and with the older great grandchildren highlights of school days, mastering musical instruments... then their overseas trips and first jobs and sometimes special news of perdurable promotions and sporting achievements......

I look forward to visits from my busy children - Peter, regularly, every weekend, Jo every Wednesday at Ardoch and Fridays at Essendon catching up with her sons & families...

I value very much the fact that in the whole of my life I've never suffered boredom....

I appreciate that I can still, with reasonable sight in just one eye, paint tiny decorous detailed pictures. I also value that I can derive splendid satisfaction from putting words to paper and then on to the computer and that I've learned to accept unpleasant or unpalatable happenings like losing my wallet or mislaying my specs and not panicking (most times...).

I also appreciate having no financial fears and that I'm able to be marvellously mobile and walk without any aids and can easily handle public transport and therefore being able to assist others less fortunate living in aged-care residential homes with voluntary work reading & discussing news & current affairs. I value muchly my general good health.... although in the past few months I've had 4 admissions to Cabrini for 2 - 12 day stays I always seem to bounce back from setbacks with a rapid recovery...

So I've decided - when I'm old, say 95, or over, in 7 years time (if I can remember)

  • I'll not pretend to be young or be angry if referred to as old...
  • I won't complain of being old...
  • I won't form the habit of indulging in reminiscences...
  • I won't compare the past with the present - claiming the past was much better...
  • If I'm a bit deaf, unsteady on my feet or lame I won't advertise my infirmities but avoid obtruding them upon the notice of others as much as possible
  • I'll speak cheerfully or not at all....
  • I'll never indulge in cynicism, never sneer at youth,and try to appreciate what younger folk do....
  • I'll continue never to be bored...
  • I'll never give advice unless it's asked for, and then not ofter...
  • I'll never be a nuisance or encumbrance so far as in me lies.
  • I'll be as little disagreeable as possible and never use disagreeability to get my way
  • I will cultivate the friendship & compainship of young children who usually undeerstand old age.
  • I'll try to demonstrate that old age is a spiritual opportunity and not a physical calamity.
  • Forced to become a bystander I'll try to be a helpful and cheerful one.
  • I'll constantly count my blessings.

Konrad Adenauer (1867 - 1967, German poet & post World War 2 leader once said to his doctor - "I haven't asked you to make me young again - all I want is to continue getting older"............

'till next time, in about a week to 10 days.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mazel tov Uncle Harry at becoming a great Zayda yet again and love to Vonne & Peter and of course, Sally & Gabe. What a wonderfully exciting time for you all.

Uncle Harry, I look forward to reading your blog with great enthusiasm. You are an inspiration to us all. If only there were more people in the world with your wonderfully positive, energetic and uplifting outlook toward life and all its ups and downs! You are a true legend. Love, Sheryn (& family) xx